The lovely peeps at Bombay Duck recently sent me the Icing on the Cake Spotty Cake Slice and Knife Set that comes in a lovely candy pink and white striped gift box. The cake slice and knife are so pretty that it was only fitting that I made a pretty pink cake to use them on!
I decided to make a vanilla cake batter with pink sprinkles in it so my new cake slice and knife would reveal a pretty surprise! The cake was quite a dense cake so it definitely needed a light filling and frosting. So I made a sumptuous whipped fresh cream raspberry frosting and filling that I piped on with a star nozzle. I then decorated the top with white sprinkles, pink candy dots and a light dusting of pink glitter...
Gluten free vanilla cake batter with sprinkles (makes two 9" cakes)
- 225g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 395g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs + 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tbsp Vanilla extract
- 330g gluten free self raising flour
- 354ml buttermilk
- 2 tbsp pink sugar strands (sprinkles)
- Preheat oven to 160C (fan assisted)
- Lightly butter two 9" cake tins and line with greaseproof paper, butter paper
- In a food mixer on high beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Beat in eggs and egg yolks one at a time to butter mix, beating well after each addition
- Beat in vanilla extract
- Gradually add flour and buttermilk alternating between the two, beating slowly between each addition until just combined. Scrape down bowl as needed.
- Stir in sprinkles
- Divide batter between the tins
- Tap firmly on surface to remove air bubbles, and smooth the tops with the back of a spoon
- Bake for about 30 mins until cakes are golden and bounce back when lightly pressed
- Place on rack to cool
Butter should be soft enough to hold a thumbprint but still keep its shape.
Eggs should be at room temperature as cold eggs will be harder to keep from curdling.
To check your cake is cooked insert a toothpick/skewer in the center, If it comes up with some wet batter or stickiness on it, the cake needs to bake some more.
- Double cream
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- Fresh raspberries
- Puree raspberries in a blender and set to one side
- Using an electric mixer whisk cream and icing sugar until the mixture starts to thicken
- Slowly whisk in raspberries till soft peaks form
Raspberry cream sprinkles cake
You will need
- Two 9" vanilla sprinkles cakes
- Raspberry cream
- White sugar strands (sprinkles)
- Pink candy dots
- Edible pink glitter
- Place one cooled cake on serving plate or cake stand
- Using a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle, pipe stars of raspberry cream so the top of the entire cake is covered
- Carefully place second cake on top, and gently press down so it lays flat
- Using a spatula spread a thin layer of raspberry cream on the top of the cake
- Starting at the base of the tiered cakes, pipe stars of raspberry cream in rows till entire sides of the cake are covered
- Pipe a row of stars round the edge of top of cake
- Sprinkle top with white sugar strands,candy dots and pink glitter
Have a sweet day!