Thursday, 24 November 2011

Hand-made cool mint lip balm

Hand-made cool mint lip balm by Torie Jayne

On Tuesday I showed you the sparkly strawberry lip balms I made for my Christmas cracker gifts. They'd be great for the gals, but I also needed something for the lads so I made cool mint lip balms with a white leaf atop.

Christmas gift : Cool mint lip balm
Ingredients

Packaging

Equipment
  • Mini leaf mould
  • Pipettes
  • Microwavable glass jug
  • Microwavable small glass jar
  • Metal spoon
  • Scissors
  • Sharp knife


Cool mint lip balm labels by Torie Jayne


Cool mint lip balm, How-to step by step
Hand made cool mint lip balm
Hand-made mint lip balm - steps 9-12
Start by placing the beeswax pellets and oil in a glass jug and heating in the microwave on low to medium power until the beeswax pellets have melted. Remove jug from microwave and stir with a metal spoon. Using a pipette, add a few drops of mint oil. Add a tiny amount of food colouring to jug of liquid. Stir mixture with metal spoon and continue adding colouring till you achieve desired shade and colour is even. Using a clean pipette, transfer lip balm to pots.

In a small glass pot, melt half a teaspoon of beeswax with a teaspoon of oil in the microwave until beeswax pellets have melted. Add a drop of cool mint oil and stir with a metal spoon. Then using a clean pipette, fill leaf mould with lip balm. As soon as the lip balm turns white, use a sharp knife to remove excess from back. Wait a minute then turn out leaf on to top of aqua cool mint lip balm. Repeat until all cool mint lip balms have a white leaf atop. Leave to set for one hour.

Wrap washi tape around each jar to secure lids. Double click on the artwork above, which will open it up in a new page, and print onto a sheet of P1 address label. Cut a rectangle of self adhesive film large enough to cover all the labels and adhere to printed labels. Carefully, using a sharp pair of scissors, cut around edge of labels then remove backing paper from the labels and attach to bottom of cool mint lip balm jars.

See hand-made strawberry lip balm here, with fully illustrated photos.


Hand-made lip balms for Christmas

Have a sweet day!
Share/Bookmark

26 comments:

  1. It's gorgeuos!!! I really love your blog: it' full of great ideas!!
    I will try to do this lip balm and i will tell you the result!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so pretty! One of a kind, strawberry one must smell yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I accidently stumbled across your blog and oh my! I'm in love! All my favourite things ,all my favourite colours and everything's so pretty and girly. Just perfect!

    I'll be back later to read every single post. Beautiful.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tutorial and I love the Tilda patterned paper. I have it too and it's so lovely. Have a nice weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great! I just bought a bunch of beeswax a while ago, so I'll give this a try... Love the colours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable and beautiful great for the stockings, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where can I get these ingredients?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, for all your lovely comments.
    Click the blue links for where to buy the ingredients

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd really like to make this lip balm for my Mum and female relatives for christmas. I have all the ingredients ready, but im struggling to find the small pots like you have used. Please will you point me in the right direction :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Torie--I tried making this yesterday, but couldn't get the Wilton teal to mix in with the liquid! It turned into globules of color that settled on the bottom of the liquid mixture. I used a metal spoon and a glass jug, so what did I do wrong? --Heather

    ReplyDelete
  11. Same happened to me, I also couldn't get the color mixed and I used really tiny amounts at the time. I used the same brand.

    The labels you made are really beautiful, thanks for those!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Heather and The Little Forest,

    All is not lost, as the liquid begins to set the globules of colour will disperse if you stir with a metal spoon. You can then re-heat the liquid, stir again with a metal spoon to get an even colour then pour into your containers.
    Hope this helps .

    ReplyDelete
  13. for those of you looking for the pots: try using bead containers like these: http://www.firemountaingems.com/details.asp?PN=H201089PK (you can buy more caps, too)
    i know michaels, joanns, and hobby lobby carry similar ones too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely love this! I'll certainly be utilizing this gift idea for the holidays! Thank you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this! This will be my gifts for my girls at work. Love love love your blog. And for anyone looking for the pots i found a great website www.lipbalmtubes.com the possibilities are endless!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Is there any store where I can by the moulds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI, Just click the link "mini leaf mould" and it will take you to the great Etsy store where she sells loads of great tiny moulds: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Nabby

      Delete
  17. Where can i buy the pippetes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can buy 20 for £3.17 here: http://www.auravita.com/product/Meadows-Aromatherapy-Plastic-Disposable-Pipettes.MEAD10380.html?RefId=220&adid=MEAD10380

      Delete
    2. this is such a wonderful diy idea! where can i get beeswax pellets?

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Just click the blue Beeswax pellets link above.

      Delete
  18. Were can i get the mint flavour oil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather, Just click the blue link "cool mint flavour oil" under ingredients and it will take you to where I bought the oil.

      Delete

Thank you for your sweet comments. I love reading them all.