For my "pimp/shrink your picnic" at work, as well as ice cream cake pops, I also made some mini strawberry tarts which were super quick and easy to make as I bought tart cases and meringues.
Strawberry meringue tarts (makes 12)
12 shortcrust pastry cases
Crème patisserie (see below for recipe)
3 small strawberries sliced
12 mini strawberry meringues
- Spoon chilled crème patisserie in tart cases.
- Place small slice of strawberry on top.
- Sprinkle with strawberry sugar.
- Place meringue on top.
- 500ml milk
- 9 tbsp caster sugar (superfine)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp cornflour
- 25g butter
- 1 tsp natural vanilla essence
- Place milk and 4 tbsp caster sugar in a saucepan and heat over medium heat until milk mixture begins to boil.
- Meanwhile in a separate bowl whisk egg yolks and egg together.
- Gradually whisk in remaining sugar and cornflour to egg mixture until you have a smooth paste.
- Gradually whisk in half the heated milk to paste.
- Pour mixture into remaining hot milk and heat until mixture becomes very thick.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Leave to cool.
I bought my strawberry sugar (sucre faveur fraise) on a trip to Paris.
Have a sweet day!