Gluten free mince pies (makes 18)
200g (7 ounces) gluten-free plain white flour
1 tsp Xanthan gum
2 tbsp icing sugar (powdered sugar)
75g (2.5 ounces) ground almonds
1 pinch of salt
125g (4.5 ounces) butter
1 large egg, lightly beaten with 1 tbsp water
359 g (12.5 ounces) high quality mincemeat filling
1 tbsp icing sugar (powdered sugar) for dusting
- Place all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl, add butter and use your hands to mix until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Or, use a food processor to save a bit of time!
- Make a well in the centre of your dry ingredients and add the egg and water.
- Combine mixture with a wooden spoon, then knead by hand to form a ball of dough.
- Cover with cling film (saran wrap) and place in a refrigerator for at least an hour before continuing.
- Roll out marzipan to 5mm thick.
- Cut out marzipan snowflakes and leave to one side. If you let your marzipan snowflakes dry for a while, they spread out less whilst cooking and you are left with a clearer looking snowflake
- Lightly grease a 12 hole cupcake tin with butter.
- Roll out the pastry so it is about 2mm thick.
- Cut out circles.
- Now line the cupcake tray with pastry, and gently press into each hole.
- Spoon a heaped teaspoon of mincemeat into each case.
- Place snowflake marzipan on top and lightly press.
- Cook in pre-heated oven for 10-15 mins
- Take out of tray and leave to cool.
- Dust with icing sugar.
Have a sweet day!