Strawberry cupcakes (makes 30 mini size cakes)
125g (4.5 ounces) butter, softened
1 teaspoon (1/3 ounces) strawberry flavouring
150g (5.2 ounces) caster sugar
150g (5.2 ounces) self-raising flour
40g (1.4 ounces) mini white chocolate chips
60ml (2 fluid ounces) semi-skimmed milk
2 tbsp strawberry jam
- Preheat oven to 160-180 deg C (325-350 deg F).
- Line baking tray with silicone cases.
- Beat flour, butter, milk, eggs and strawberry flavoring in a bowl with an electric mixer until the mixture turns a pale colour.
- Stir in the choc chips and strawberry jam and mix thoroughly.
- Spoon mixture into cases.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Place cakes on a wire rack to cool.
Decorating the cakes
You will need:
Vanilla butter frosting
Roll-on icing (sugar paste)
Black concentrated food colouring paste
Edable art cake glitter in Disco Mulberry
Piping bag and nozzle
Sieved icing sugar (confectioners sugar)
- Fill piping bag with vanilla butter frosting and pipe in peaks on top of the cakes.
- Sprinkle glitter on top using a small paintbrush.
- Lightly dust work surface with icing sugar.
- Place roll-on icing onto surface and gradually add food colouring to roll-on icing with a cocktail stick (as it is very concentrated), and knead colour in. Keep adding food colouring until you get desired colour.
- Roll out icing so it is about 5mm thick, and cut out bird shape using cutter.
- Place on top of cake, and with a damp brush lightly paint the top to bring back the blackness and shine.
See Halloween cake stands and cases for where to buy the cupcake wrappers and stand.
As I have to have a gluten free diet, I substitute the self raising flour for gluten and wheat free self raising flour.
Have a sweet day!