Tuesday, 20 October 2009

Strawberry cupcakes

Bird cupcakes
Mini cupcakes
Strawberry cupcakes (makes 30 mini size cakes)

Ingredients
125g (4.5 ounces) butter, softened
1 teaspoon (1/3 ounces) strawberry flavouring
150g (5.2 ounces) caster sugar
2 eggs
150g (5.2 ounces) self-raising flour
40g (1.4 ounces) mini white chocolate chips
60ml (2 fluid ounces) semi-skimmed milk
2 tbsp strawberry jam

Cooking instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 160-180 deg C (325-350 deg F).
  2. Line baking tray with silicone cases.
  3. Beat flour, butter, milk, eggs and strawberry flavoring in a bowl with an electric mixer until the mixture turns a pale colour.
  4. Stir in the choc chips and strawberry jam and mix thoroughly.
  5. Spoon mixture into cases.
  6. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
  7. Place cakes on a wire rack to cool.



Bird cake decorating
Decorating the cakes

You will need:
Vanilla butter frosting
Roll-on icing (sugar paste)
Black concentrated food colouring paste
Edable art cake glitter in Disco Mulberry
Bird cutter
Rolling pin
Small paintbrush
Piping bag and nozzle
Sieved icing sugar (confectioners sugar)
  1. Fill piping bag with vanilla butter frosting and pipe in peaks on top of the cakes.
  2. Sprinkle glitter on top using a small paintbrush.
  3. Lightly dust work surface with icing sugar.
  4. Place roll-on icing onto surface and gradually add food colouring to roll-on icing with a cocktail stick (as it is very concentrated), and knead colour in. Keep adding food colouring until you get desired colour.
  5. Roll out icing so it is about 5mm thick, and cut out bird shape using cutter.
  6. Place on top of cake, and with a damp brush lightly paint the top to bring back the blackness and shine.

See Halloween cake stands and cases for where to buy the cupcake wrappers and stand.

As I have to have a gluten free diet, I substitute the self raising flour for gluten and wheat free self raising flour.

Have a sweet day!
Share/Bookmark

25 comments:

  1. Hello! Thank you for sharing all your beautiful Halloween pictures! They look so cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow wow wow!! did you make these?!

    sigh. one thing that makes me sad about living in japan is how some of these ingredients are impossible to find! like edible glitter :( boo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I just say that your Halloween posts have been absolutely fantastic!!!! I LOVE that you have chosen pink and black instead of the usual orange and black. I've really enjoyed these posts.....great ideas.

    And those cakestands....LOVE THEM!!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. these remind me of edgar allan poe and his poem "The Raven". love the black & pink combo for Halloween.
    -Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love these little cakes, Torie Jayne and the bird just finishes it off. So sweet !!!! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh these cupcakes are so beautiful! i'm sure that also taste divine!
    thank you for a lovely recipe! i will try it for halloween!
    have a great day,
    justyna

    ReplyDelete
  7. What sweet cupcakes! I must try that out too, for craft day with my nephew.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They sure look pretty! The pink makes all the difference in the world to me. If you had used orange instead, I don't think the impact (on ME) would have been the same.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are so pretty! I love the birdies :) I need to show my SIL these because we are throwing a bird themed baby shower in a month!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh
    Yummmmm!!!!!

    These are sooo cute, and the recipe sounds yummiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Torie these are gorgeous. I wish I had this talent for baking:) I think it's an art. You are an artist extrodinaire. Lots of my post today made me think of you when I saw the items. Love and happy evening to you Sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look amazing. Sweet and gorgeous with a halloween twist - fabulous.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look gorgeous! Cake glitter-what an invention!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So great to know this is gluten free,its such a pretty recipe, must try, thank Tori your an angel! Pop over to my Halloween Party if you get chance would love to bump into you there, tee hee! Sharon xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  15. there you go again, filling our little heads with wonderful ideas! i was feeling poorly, but they have put a big smile on my face :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh how cute... since I am on algae-diet at the moment, it's quite painful for me to look at these photos! :))
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. A winner here with the girls. The problem is me, I'm such a messy cook, nothing ends up looking as good; but you keep inspiring me.;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love these. They look delicious too. thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Torie-

    I am so happy to have found your site! My 12 year old daughter loves it too! (You gave her inspiration to decorate her 13th birthday in haute pink and black with glittery skulls! I was having fun looking at your posts! You are so talented! Visit my blog and say hello!

    Michelle
    Zuniga Interiors

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow...these are stunning! I am not on any diet at the moment so I can eat all I want...just need to go a few more miles on my bike.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ah you always come up with the goods!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ooo edible glitter! Is it as hard to clean up as craft glitter?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet comments. I love reading them all.