Thursday, 22 October 2009

Black crows

Halloween tree
Handmade crow
I made and decorated a tree for Easter with hand made birds, so I thought for Halloween I would do the same. Initially I used the same pattern to make a bird but it looked too sweet. As I could not find a pattern for a crow or raven I decided to make my own.

I used a black fabric with subtle black lurex running through it to give them a sparkly touch. I used pink wire and beads to make the feet and black diamantes for the eyes.

Halloween Fabric Crows

You will need:
Black fabric
Black thread
Needle
Crow pattern (below)
Pink wire
Pink beads
Silver rings
5mm Ribbon
White pencil or pen
Pins
Black diamante
Fabric Glue
Toy filling
  1. Print and cut out the crow pattern below.
  2. Fold your fabric into two, with the right side of the fabric facing inwards, to give the two sides of your crow.
  3. Draw around the pattern using a white pencil or pen if using dark fabric (don't forget to mark the opening points).
  4. Pin the two pieces of fabric together and cut around the lines leaving a 5mm border round the edge.
  5. Hand stitch along the lines, leaving the opening unstitched.
  6. Turn crow inside out (I use a chopstick to to fully open the beak, tail and legs).
  7. Hand press the seams open.
  8. Insert pink wire up through one leg hole and down the other.
  9. Stuff with toy filling (again I use a chopstick to get the stuffing into the beak, tail and legs)
  10. Hand stitch the opening closed, pushing the needle and thread up through the top of the neck to create hanging loop.
  11. Sew small silver loop onto base of neck, thread ribbon through ring and tie in bow.
  12. To create the feet, thread 6 pink beads onto the leg wire. Then for each 'toe' bend the wire back on itself and thread 3 more beads. Repeat for each toe. Tie round base of feet to finish.
  13. Glue diamantes in place for the eyes.


Crow pattern by Torie Jayne
I will blog about the Halloween tree as soon as I finish it!

Have a sweet day!
Share/Bookmark

25 comments:

  1. Very lovely. As we dont celebrate Halloween here, I will use this method to make other birds for the summer house..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can do the cupcakes, but this one is beyond my talent. If it requires sewing...I run the other way. If it requires cooking...I'm your girl!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. UHHH! great scary idea!
    I'm doing some hearts for christams, I'll show you very soon on my blog!
    I love to create, don't you?

    Lucky you...Tomorrow Anthropologie will open in London...take a lot of pictures please!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there Torie,
    what a great workshop, I sense a crow theme running through your blog!! Sharon xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  5. how adorable! I love the black and pink together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute! Can crows really be considered cute? In any case, I think they are. And, as I've said before, the pink makes all the difference for me. Love the pink feet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an adorable idea! You are creative and this is so original... I love the beads!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did an amazing job!! I love the pink beaded feet!!

    lululetty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so clever Torie Jayne...is there anything that you can't make? Will you be having a Halloween party ?
    Hope we see pictures if you are. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an incredible, crafty idea. I really like it! I wish I could sew better than what I do.

    Have a great Thursday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are too cute! The beaded legs and feet set the whole "guy" off perfectly. I'll say it again.....I love the way you're throwing in the hot pink instead of the tradtional orange! Thank you so much for the pattern.
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well aren't you just TOOOOOOOO sweet!! Thank you ever so much for letting me know. Just subscribed to you so I won't miss a thing!
    **blows kisses** Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok, this is the only time you will ever see me like a crow. They normally give me the heebie-jeebies.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing your pattern and tutorial! I might well make a few little crows! I made some birds a while back-you might be interested so here is the link
    http://circles-of-rain.blogspot.com/search?q=bird+faces
    Have a lovely weekend-it is nearly here thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cool birds and a great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  16. awww, you are so talented! :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you SO much for sharing this with all of us! I appreciate it so much.

    Thank you also for visiting my Blog :)

    LuLu~*xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you SO much for stopping by to let me know about your crow pattern! I also have a Halloween tree but I think these crows will go outside on the grapevine that goes around my doorframe!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, you are beautifully talented!
    Happy Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  20. love them, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome Torie! Can't wait to give it a try!!

    Hugs and love!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is beyond amazing...you are so creative! I can think of these things, but NEVER do them!

    I would love a few of these for a Christmas tree - white doves in little cages like your wallpaper, perhaps?

    Hmmm...I think you should start selling these! Seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very clever. And oddly pretty.:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ohhhh...I adore their pink beaded feet!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet comments. I love reading them all.