Thursday, 10 September 2009

Portobello tea cups

Pastel tea set
Pastel tea cups
pastel blue tea set
Mix & match pastel tea set
I recently went to the famous Portobello Market early one Friday morning and bought the adorable tea set above. The colours were so me and I love how you can mix and match them!

The above set are from The Colclough China Company from the Harlequin range.

The Colclough China Company was founded in 1890 by Herbert Joseph Colclough, who was an ex-Mayor of Stoke-on-Trent. Mr Colclough was a very conscientious man who loved his pottery and was known on occasion to stay up all night next to his kilns, which he had packed, so that he could be the first to see the new designs when they emerged.

After expanding his company, he moved to the Vale potteries in Longton and was honoured when in 1913 he was visited by King George V and Queen Mary who gave royal licence for the company to produce Royal Vale china.

In the 1930's Colclough China Limited was expanding fast and it was then that they started to produce the tea and dinner ware that we know today. They were the first company to produce fine bone china for the every day market which was marketed by the piece, ruling out the need for large sets to be purchased first.

In 1948, Colclough China Limited took over Booths and Adderley and then in the early 1950's merged with the Ridgeway Company. Colclough and Ridgeway became part of the Royal Doulton Group in the early 1970's. However, in 1996, Colclough production discontinued and manufacture ceased.


You can buy Colclough Chinaware online from Focus on Colclough. They have a similar set to the above called "Ballet", which is £35 for a 21 Piece Set.


Pink glass tea set
I bought the above to keep trinkets in on my dressing room table, which match some lovely pink glass dressing table pieces my dear Nanny left me.
Share/Bookmark

30 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous....I would love those too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, you'll never guess what. My Dad died last year and it was left to me to clear the house and..yes, you've guessed it...I gave the Harlequin set away !!!!! AArrrgggghhhh. There was so much stuff ( don't worry, I don't think I got rid of anything else that was good !! )I didn't really have time to sort everything properly but they went to my Dad's friend who will treasure it. It's funny 'cos I bought it for my Mum and Dad with my first wage packet.Thanks for bringing back those memories today. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gaaah, I am SO in love, they are beyond fabulous. And you have such good taste love, these pictures are amazing.

    xoxo Agnes

    Can we have a tea party please? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. THese are beautiful! I collect tea cups, so I appreciate pretties when I see them! How lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely, lovely! And they fit so well on your blog. They look like they were made for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely adore the tea cups you've purchased, I love the glass set too, what a delightful idea for it to be used to keep your trinkets in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Torrie! THese are beautiful! I love them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What pretty treasures, love the gilt edge on the pastel, and as for the pink pressed glass.........let me at it! Tee hee,
    Love Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your teacups are fabulous...the colors are divien and you are right, it's so you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh TJ I LOVE these and love the back story. I have exact tea cup on bottom but in an almost charteuse colored glass. Last year the shelf it sat on came off the wall and the saucer broke. I cried :(
    I love love love mixing and matching tea cups. I would love to sip tea with you Sweet Girl:) Happy Thursday Darling Girl!!! Love Love Love

    ReplyDelete
  11. pastel coloured china, be still my beating heart!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a charming little set! I love that you shared the history too, its so fun to learn things like that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I just found your blog from lovingprettythings! You photos are fabulous! Do you take them yourself? I'll be back :) What a fun place in space!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmmm....SO pretty! Love the colors!

    Smiles,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  15. So so pretty..shades to dream by. Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So so pretty..shades to dream by. Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am tea obsessed and these cups are gorgeous. They are so delicate and beg to be used with some delicious tea cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Darling, I have between 15 to 20 Colclough teacups and plates. I just adore their shapes. Mine are mostly floral, but now I am in love with yours. The colors are adorable. Enjoy them in good health.

    Duchess

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my, I simply adore your lovely tea set. They are the sweetest colours!

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh how totally beautiful. I love them and just adore how you have photographed them, you really are clever. The colours come up great.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow this is such a great find. Lovely colours too :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Darling, have a lovely weekend.

    Love, Hugs & Tea
    Duchess ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  23. Don't you just love it when you find a real treasure! These are so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love, love, love those teacups. You are one lucky girl to have found them.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh I love those teacups - they remind me of my Fiesta.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet comments. I love reading them all.