Tuesday, 7 April 2009

Easter bird houses

Easter bird house stack
Easter bird houses from above
As it's coming up to Easter, I thought it would be fun to make myself some Easter-themed decorations. I'd already made some Easter birds and Easter mushrooms, but I also wanted some place settings for the table.

Thinking about the place settings reminded me of some mini wooden bird feeders that I'd bought and decorated for Christmas a few years ago. But that's another story, and one that I'll come back to later in the year.

As birds are synonymous with Easter, I bought another six of the bird feeders thinking they'd be perfect as the place settings. So, here's how I went about decorating them...

Plain bird feeders
The feeders come in a pack of six. I ordered one box as I wanted one for each table setting.


Primed wooden bird feeder
Primed wooden bird feeder
I removed the rope from the top and painted each feeder in a water-based white wood primer. A couple of coats were needed.


Painted wooden bird feeder
Wooden bird feeders in Easter colours
I decided to paint the roofs and bases in colours from my Easter sketch book. I took it with me to the DIY store, and found tester pots in the following colours: Woodland Glade, Willow, Ice Pink, and Amethyst (all Focus matt emulsion).

I painted the roof and base of each feeder a different colour, and masking taped the areas I wanted to keep white.


Gluing nests into wooden bird feeders
Easter wooden bird feeders with nests
Continuing the bird theme, I found some mini birds nests, which I attached to the centre of each house with PVA glue.


Ribbon hanging loops
Attaching the ribbon hanging loops
For the tops, I made some new hanging loops using ribbon. I knotted the ends together and PVA glued a bead in place to stop the ribbon slipping through the hole at the top of the feeder. After feeding the ribbon through the hole in the feeder, I glued it in place.


Completed Easter wooden bird house
Completed Easter wooden bird house
Finally, I filled the nests with mini foil covered chocolate eggs and, Voila!

Now my place settings are ready for Easter. I can't wait to decorate the table this Sunday!
Share/Bookmark

8 comments:

  1. Oh these are just so gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  2. How adorable these houses are!
    Do you know?People like you make the world much better!!
    Come and see me at
    www.copacabanadetoledo.blogger.com.br
    Hope you enjoy it!
    Love
    ana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lovelies for your sweet comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these bird houses. Everything you make is pure eye candy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Popped by via Be Different. These are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW, I love this! How creative you are!

    I am just wondering where you go the gorgeous bird houses from? I am hosting a birdie themed baby shower in a month and would love to get my hands one som, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can buy the bird feeders and bird houses from www.bakerross.co.uk. Pack of 6 for about £8. Just click on the words in blue & you'll be taken directly to the website.

      Delete

Thank you for your sweet comments. I love reading them all.